Romanoff colors??? (fwd)

Devin P Browne dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu
Mon Feb 23 11:56:37 UTC 1998

>>From another list - please respond directly to the individual, not me.

Devin P Browne
dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu

=================
FORWARDED MESSAGE
=================

Date:    Fri, 20 Feb 1998 18:49:42 -0700
From:    Pat Buckner <patb at ms.provo.k12.ut.us>
Subject: Romanoff colors?

As I was doing some research about Mardi Gras, I came across a
statement that the New Orleans Mardi Gras colors, purple, green, and
gold, were selected because they were the colors of the Romanoff
house.   I knew that the visit of one of the Grand Dukes to the city
is often cited as the reason the grand ball was founded (or some
other connection with Mardi Gras---I've found a couple of different
versions) but this was new---and, as I also teach Russian, I was very
interested; I had never heard this.  Does anyone have any further
information, or know if this is true?
Pat Buckner
Dixon Middle School
patb at ms.provo.k12.ut.us