call for referees

Irene Thompson napooka at aloha.net
Fri Jan 2 08:46:35 UTC 1998

Dear Ben:
I will volunteer for reading the papers. Might even come to the conference
since it is much closer to Hawaii.
I finally received a copy of the 'revised' guidelines from Elvira and am
pretty dismayed at the lack of sophistication in the so-called
'fine-tuning' of the scale. I also noticed that none of the concerned that
I personally had expressed about the first draft of the revision got even
the slightest consideration. I have so many comments to make about the
revision that, as they say in Russian "ruki opuskajutsja."
One of the most egregious things about this revision is the failure to
include representatives of  languages other than Spanish, French, and
German in the process. I see a return to the Western-European bias with
particular emphasis on 'street' speakers of Spanish (three members of the
revision committee are teachers of Spanish, including Elvira that makes 4).
Want to join forces in making a response?
Irene
 Irene Thompson
P.O. Box 3572
Princeville, HI  96722