etymology of Slavus

Gerald Sabo GSABO at JCVAXA.jcu.edu
Tue Jan 6 13:40:54 UTC 1998

I am not a linguist so the recent posting on the etymology of Slavus was very
interesting.  I simply wanted to add that in his recent publication Alex.
Schenker--The Dawn of Slavic--shows quite convincingly that Slavus was the
 Latin, and
Sklavus the Greek and even the Arabic word for Slave.  These people whom we know
today as Slavs--since I am of Slovak background, I hope no one would think I am
 being
politically insensitive in saying this--these Slavs were the source of Slaves
 for the
non-Slavic area of Central, etc. Europe.  The question I have is whether there
 are
documents/data where the term by which these peoples calld themselves exist.  It
 seems
to me a non-linguist that the non-Slavic peoples gave the Slavic peoples this
 name.
As regards etymology of Slavus from glory, from the early sixteenth century,
 certain
Bohemian and Slovak authors were attributing this derivation, as well as later
 the
derivation from Slovo.  There may be linguistic basis for this.  Whether they
 were
reacting against the belief that Slavus meant slave and wanted a much more
 positive
"origin" for their family of peoples--could be.  I would appreciate any further
discussion of these points.
                  Jerry Sabo//GSABO at JCVAXA.JCU.EDU