Pavel and the Peacock

Irena Ustinova ipustino at syr.edu
Fri Jan 9 15:03:29 UTC 1998

At 11:58 PM 1/8/98 EST, you wrote:
>I wonder if anyone knows of a possible
>iconographic connection between Pavel and the peacock (+pavlin+).
>I have a vague recollection of seeing peacock motifs at
>Pavlovsk some 27 years ago when I was last there.
>
>I'd be very grateful if anyone could provide specific details off-line.

I am not sure, but... in Russian Language there is an expression: 'vystupaet
budto pava' ( is walking like VIP, or a person, proud of herself). So I
think that this archaic word 'pava' is really connected with pavlin, as for
Pavel, I don't know. Pavlovsk was named after Tsar Pavel I, as it was his
residence.

Irena Ustinova