IE 4.0's Russian "Channels"

Benjamin Sher sher07 at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 6 05:44:16 UTC 1998

Dear Colleagues:

May I mention to you the existence of around 15 Russian
"Channels" on Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0's Channel Bar? They
cover the whole gamut, from business, to literature and travel to film
to government decrees, news reports, etc., etc. The subscriptions
are, as fars as I know, for the most part, FREE. The quality of the
sites is exceptional. None as yet feature Russian TV or video but
lots of beautifully designed Web sites with great info and
entertainment.

You must have IE 4.0. Recommend that you upgrade to 4.01 SP1,
the latest version available from Microsoft at:

http://www.microsoft.com

You don't have to use the Channel Bar that you see at first. You can
delete it. You can access the Channels from WITHIN IE 4. Go to the
Channels page, read the instructions fully, select Search, then
Russia, and you will find around 15 or so Russian channels. Then
either add the channels or subscribe to the ones you want. I am not
quite sure what these subscriptions entail. My impression is that
most of them are free. They are supported by advertising or other
means.

There is no way for me to add this to my Sher's Russian Index.
However, I think you'll find it a great addition to quality
contemporary Russian sources.

For the record, I, along with tens of thousands of others, just got
badly burned by Windows98, a complete waste of money and time,
in fact, in most respects, a step back rather than forward. So, I have
no love for Microsoft as such, though, like many of you, I do value
and use their best products.

It is my policy to acquaint you with ALL quality sources of
information, art and entertainment that have to do with Russia, no
matter where they may come from.

You might also wish to check Netscape's new Netcenter to see what
their Channels offer in the way of Russian.

If I hear of anything else, I will let you know or just add it to my

Yours,

Benjamin

Benjamin Sher
Russian Literary Translator