Odessa/Ukrainian "nationalism"

Jim Rader jrader at m-w.com
Wed Jul 8 08:59:37 UTC 1998

Thanks for your interesting post.  I take it from the context and
from the literal meaning of the Ukrainian word that <surzhyk> refers
to some kind of mixture of Ukrainian and Russian.  Is this a more or
less generally used term for such?  Does it refer to Russified
Ukrainian or Ukrainianized Russian?

Jim Rader