Russian Dictionary of Quotations

Wayles Browne ewb2 at cornell.edu
Thu Jun 11 17:29:45 UTC 1998

>Review

 Slovar' Sovremennykh Tsitat
>4,300 khodyachikh tsitat i vyrazhenii, ikh istochniki, avtory, datirovka
>Konstantin Dushenko
>Published by Agraf, Moscow, 1997. Price circa #20. Vinyl, 632pp. ISBN 5 7784
> 0031 4
>For a culture which loves dictionaries, it is surprising that Russian has not
> had a
>dictionary of quotations before now.

The new dictionary is very much to be welcomed, but Russianists were
not totally helpless before. I have often referred to N.S.Ashukin,
M.G.Ashukina, "Krylatye slova: Literaturnye citaty, Obraznye vyrazhenija"
Izdanie vtoroe, dopolnennoe, GIXL, Moskva 1960.
Under G, for instance, it has:

27. Glazomer, bystrota, natisk.
Aforizm velikogo russkogo polkovodca A.V.Suvorova. `Etimi slovami
v svoej "Nauke pobezdat'" (napisannoj v 1796 g., pervoe izdanie 1806
g.) on opredelil "tri voinskie iskusstva".
[quotation from Chexov containing this phrase]
28. Glas vopijushchego v pustyne.
Vyrazhenie iz biblii (Isaija, 40, 3; citiruetsja u Matf., 3.3. i
v drugix mestax) upotrebljaetsja v znachenii: naprasnyj prizyv
k chemu-nibud', ostajushchijsja bez vnimanija, bez otveta.
[long quotation from Saltykov-Shchedrin, short quotation from
Stalin]

Wayles Browne, Assoc. Prof., Department of Linguistics
Morrill Hall, Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853, U.S.A.
tel. 1-607-255-0712, home 1-607-273-3009
fax 1-607-255-2044 (write FOR W. BROWNE)
e-mail ewb2 at cornell.edu