Pocket size Serbo-Croat dictionary

Ken Miyamoto kmymt at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 9 08:19:54 UTC 1998

On Sun, 8 Mar 1998 22:16:31 -0400
"E. Wayles Browne" <ewb2 at cornell.edu> wrote:

>Damir Kalogjera, ed., Englesko-hrvatski i hrvatsko-engleski rjec"nik /
>English-Croatian and Croatian-English Dictionary. Zagreb, Naklada C, 1996.

Thank you, Wayles, for your information.
Is this available in American bookstores, such as Barnes & Noble or
Border's?

>There is also a very small Langenscheidt English-Croatian and Croatian-English
>dictionary. In the 1980s Langenscheidt published an English-Croatian
>pocket dictionary and a Croatian-English pocket dictionary in two separate
>volumes, but I believe these have not been reprinted in the 1990s.

I know them all. When I studied at Zagreb in 1978-80, I used the
Langenscheidt pocket dictionaries. I liked them. When I came to the US
ten years ago, I left them with all other Serbo-Croat dictionaries in
Japan. Here I purchased the tiny Langenscheidt, but I've been unable to
find the pocket size versions at all.

>Hippocrene Publishers in New York has a pocket-size English-Bosnian and
>Bosnian-English dictionary, also a pocket-size English-SC and SC-English,
>but these don't show such good attention to detail as the Kalogjera
>one or the Langenscheidt ones.

I saw them at Barnes & Noble, too. I don't think they are really helpful.

It seems there are very few Serbo-Croat dictionaries currently available.
I wonder why.

Ken M.

MIYAMOTO Ken, or Ken C. Miyamoto
Princeton, NJ, USA