Vaginov -- in Russian

Benjamin Sher sher07 at bellsouth.net
Sun Mar 29 09:22:07 UTC 1998

Dear Colleagues:

The Russian text of the Prologue and Chapter One of Vaginov's The
Tower (The Goat-Song) are now available on my web site in the
standard Internet KOI8-R, Windows-1251 and Mac formats. The text is
from the original 1928 edition published by Priboi Publishers. The
second edition 1991 (by Sovremennik of Moscow) is substantially
different from the original edition.

Sher's Russian Web is located at:

http://personal.msy.bellsouth.net/msy/s/h/sher07/

The Russian text is identical with the original 1928 version except
for minor and obvious corrections of typographical and punctuation
errors.

I think that the Windows and KOI8-R versions are correct
reproductions of the original. I have had a chance to check them on
my Netscape 4.04 and IE 4.01. If any of you find that there is some
unfortunate technical problem that I have been unable to discover on
my local system (i.e. on my own PC), please let me know.

However, I do not own a Mac. I thought it would be good idea to
provide a Mac version for the many Mac users out there. I did this by
using my Cyrillic converter. However, I cannot vouch for the results.
Therefore, I would appreciate it if someone could check the Mac
version on my site just to be sure that the conversion went well and
that the text is indeed Russian and not some computer gibberish,
which is, of course, the way it looks to me on my PC.

NOTE: The same texts are available on my commercial site. Due to a
major reorganization of Xoom, the host company, my site, along with
everybody else's temporarily disappeared from view. I have since
reinstalled it on their new system. Anyone interested in full
information on purchasing the hardcover edition should contact me
off-line. At any rate, the Web address of my commercial site has not
changed.

Thank you so much.

Yours,

Benjamin