Escapism and Slovo o polku Igoreve

Wendell W. Solomons solomons at slt.lk
Fri May 8 17:00:19 UTC 1998

Greetings !

We have seen civil rationale expressed for the study
of the Legend of Igor's Platoon at this time in history:

>Russian culture and national self-esteem can easily survive --
>and in my view will benefit from -- the removal of this alien
>organism, which has become a malignant impediment to self-
>examination and historical understanding.

>Edward L. Keenan
>Harvard University

It transpires that we also need to understand allusions
such as:

>no one can dispute, it seems to me, that
>Slovo is a highly influential text in
>Russian literature, culture, and identity -
>as important, perhaps, as Kosovo is to the
>Serbs.

>J. Douglas Clayton
>University of Texas

There is history right here. We know Russians
experienced two alien cultural intrusions in
this century, that of (1) Karl Marx's Communism
and that of (2) Milton Friedman's neoliberalism.

Both alien intrusions were materially assisted
by treasuries overseas, in the second case quite
overtly. PR firm Buston-Marstellar sent its
bill to the U.S. tax-payer with the good grace
of the U.S.AID's uncontested contractor Jeffery
Sachs of Harvard.

Five years after this "Free-to-Choose" campaign, on
the territory of Russia are strewn 6000 nuclear
warheads whereas some 20 million people have not
received their salaries for 8 months and more. To
feed their families, nuclear technicians are leaving
for countries they may NEVER have wanted to work in
before. Jeffrey Sachs has made a contribution to
nuclear proliferation and it is in such circumstances
that the Ph.D. head of a nuclear research institution
shot himself in the head because he had no other
alternative to offer the families of his colleagues.

This is hardly a time to dig pits for one's neighbor.
In the circumstances of such disarray in Russia it is
not only sportsmanship that matters though to that we
must make our bow.

We must consider the ecological pit into which much of
Eurasia would fall  -- with the threat to civilization
extending into the Americas. If the Russian economy is
not stabilized, we must consider that the continuation
of a free-for-all in that country will transport us into
scenes in Revelations.

If appreciate that "study is study," we must also have
the horizons to realise that haste NOW for an ethnic
cleanup in culture may depict us in the throes of hunt on
fellow man, incensed by the same neoliberal utopia of
"Free-to-choose." This again is the same anarchist
formulation hyped parasitically since 1976. "Me-Myself-Mine"
was promoted on a platform provided by COMMUNITY resources.

We see Jeffery Sachs' prepared his audience for a trip rather
like Marshall Applewhite did at Heaven's Gate. That Pied Piper
completed his escapist mission last year when 39 U.S. citizens
drank vodka or softdrink laced with cyanide and left the parents
who had raised them. In this situation, we must have the wisdom
to refrain from rushing on another escapist race into an ultimate
choice such as Heaven's Gate for everyone on this earth.

Finally, we might enquire about the sincerity on cleansing of
Harvard's Slavic lights. What were they doing when in their
very neighborhood Jeffrey Sachs packed his bag of neoliberalism
to implant it in Russia. Did their expertise on Russia speak out
about the grafting of a foreign body at cost to their fellow
Americans' resources? Were they blind to malignant implants
then? Are they more astute leaders today? Can we avoid becoming
victims of an escapist stunt?

I can no better close my comment by mentioning that on 25th
January this year an emphatic warning on neoliberal agenda
came quite significantly from Pontiff John Paul II.

Shalom! Peace! Mir!

:---------------------:
wendell wilmir solomons
management research
:---------------------:

Friedman's sponsor used the cry "Evil Empire" to save us from all
Soviet citizens. He was later forced to withdraw the scapegoat idea
but Friedman and Sachs have brought it home to us:

REV 17:3  Then the angel carried me away in the Spirit into a
desert. There I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast that was
covered with blasphemous names and had seven heads and ten horns.

4  The woman was dressed in purple and scarlet, and was glittering
with gold, precious stones and pearls. She held a golden cup in her
hand, filled with abominable things and the filth of her adulteries.

5  This title was written on her forehead: MYSTERY BABYLON THE GREAT
THE MOTHER OF PROSTITUTES AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

6  I saw that the woman was drunk with the blood of the saints, the
blood of those who bore testimony to Jesus. When I saw her, I was
greatly astonished.