SEELANGS Digest - 26 May 1998 to 27 May 1998 (#1998-141)

Bruce A. McClelland bmcclell at irex.ru
Thu May 28 06:32:19 UTC 1998

Silver Age Poetry Web site:

The full text of Osip Mandelstam's second published collection of poetry,
TRISTIA, is online through the Electronic Text Center at University of
Virginia. At this site (http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/cyrillic/index.html)
are both Cyrillic (KOI-8) and transliterated versions of the text, as well
as digitized images of the text as printed in 1921. Also available are my
translations of the poems, and notes to the text, a preface, and
translator's note.

I have marked up the text in SGML TEI-Lite, and it is fully searchable in
Cyrillic, transliteration (based on George Fowler's scheme), and English.

One caveat for prospective readers is that, although I have corrected most
of the egregious translation errors of the second (1987) edition (thank
you, Dr. Borenstein), I left the country before I was able to complete the
project. Therefore, there are lacunae in the annotation, and perhaps some
glitches (e.g. typos) in the text itself. If I ever get out of Moscow, I
will return to upgrade the project, but we (the Electronic Text Center and
I) decided it would be best to release the text as is, rather than wait
until I get time to polish it up.

Hope it helps.

I should mention, by the way, that I have been discussing with Pavel Nerler
of the Mandelstamovskoe Obshchestvo the possibility of putting the full
text of Mandelstam's collected works (4 vv) online. We have the text in
electronic form; now all we need is a bit of free time.

--Bruce McClelland
Director, Internet Programs
IREX/Moscow