Slovo o polku Igoreve

Robert Orr roborr at aix1.uottawa.ca
Wed May 6 00:18:14 UTC 1998

On reflection, I'm actually wondering if the Slovo ought to be compared
with the Ossianic material at all.  The Slovo was written in a language
that cannot be faulted as Medieval East Slavic.  The Ossianic poems on the
other hand, are written in eighteenth century English, allegedly on the
basis of Gaelic originals. Comparing Ossian and the Slovo may be in
the order of a straight comparison of a poem by, e.g., Derzhavin with the
Slovo.

In that context, citing phrases, such as "and the trees bent down
> in sorrow" for purposes of comparison with the Slovo really will not do.
What was the Gaelic original of that phrase (if there was one)?

It may be noted that Bardachd Gaidhlig (Gaelic Poetry 1550-1900), a
comprehensive collection, contains no material by MacPherson, and in a
60-page introduction dismisses the Ossianic material with the comment
"The range of modern poetry is quite unrestricted.  It has indeed produced
nothing in the way of drama or epic, if we except the Ossianic poetry put
together by James Macpherson: these forms were never practised by the
Gael."

Another, related point:

In a previous posting I stated that the writers of certain other
forgeries/fabrications roughly coeval to the Slovo "did not have too
great a knowledge of the idiom".  I had James Macpherson and Ossian in
mind.  What is not generally known is that Macpherson's Gaelic
wasn't actually that good.  There's a tale that he visited one of the old
poets of Uist, John MacCodrum, and asked him:
Am bheil dad agaibh air na Feinne? - "Do you have anything on the Fiann?"
- or so he thought, but the Gaelic idiom actually means "Do the Fiann owe
you anything?", which he ought to have known.

MacCodrum, well-known as a ready wit, replied "Chan 'eil, agus ged a
bhiodh cha ruig a leas iarraidh a nis" - "No, and if they did, it wouldn't
be worth asking for it now."

Maybe this was why Macpherson never let people see the original Ossians.

Is the Slovo remotely in the same league?

I would beg the indulgence of one SEELANZHANKA, to whom I have already
sent this one off list!