Slovo o polku Igoreve

Kamneva, Natalia nyuka at Claritech.com
Thu May 7 20:37:04 UTC 1998

It is a very interesting discussion! I heard about it when I was young (
in 1962 ), and
I didn't know that it is still a subject for a discussion. I would like
to know your opinion
and , especially, Shurik's ( Lesha's ??? ) point on it.

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   keenan at fas.harvard.edu [SMTP:keenan at fas.harvard.edu]
        Sent:   Thursday, May 07, 1998 3:55 PM
        To:     SEELANGS at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
        Subject:        Slovo o polku Igoreve

        Dear Colleagues,

        I append, as promised, some "theses" that form the basis of my
forthcoming
        book, in the hope
        that they might stimulate and at the same time shape our
discussion.  I am
        well aware that in the
        end only the detailed evidence and argument that I hope to
provide in the
        book can resolve
        these tangled matters, but it seems useful for the moment to
have at least a
        full and careful
        summary of my current views available to others.  And it seems
quite
        inappropriate for me to
        "lurk" while others are discussing these matters on line.

        At the same time, as you can imagine, I doubt that I shall be
able to
        respond to each and every
        posting on every aspect of the matter.  To do so, I judge from
the traffic
        of the past few days,
        would be a full-time proposition, and I desperately want to get
this fat
        manuscript off my desk.

        So here a few propositions for you, some of which will be of
more interest
        than others, depending
        on one's own special field.  Please note the care with which I
use modifiers
        like "probably,"
        "possibly," "plausibly," and the like.  There are still many
minor aspects
        of the story that are not
        clear to me.  Conversely, when I say "all," or "none," I am
being equally
        careful and mean to
        indicate that further doubt is unwarranted.

        (Apologies for the absence of French and Czech diacritics.)

        TO LAY THE GHOST OF THE "LAY OF THE HOST OF IGOR"

        I.      One cannot plausibly reconstruct, on the basis of
documentary sources,
        either the details
        of the "discovery" of the putative original manuscript of the
Igor Tale
        ["IT"] or its paleographical
        characteristics.  All statements by "eye-witnesses" concerning
these matters
        are mutually
        contradictory or demonstrably false.  There is no missing
"Iaroslav
        Chronograph," and no
        documented proof of the existence of any portion of the IT
before 1792 or 1793.

        II.     By contrast, one can indeed demonstrate, on the basis of
the authentic
        correspondence
        of the principals, that no "original" manuscript was lost in
1812 -- or,
        more precisely, that no one
        spoke explicitly of that loss, even when pressed on the matter
by an
        enthusiastic fellow believer,
        when discussing the burning of Musin-Pushkin's house, or when
republishing
        the IT in 1819.  It is
        indeed possible with some confidence to trace the development of
the
        "destruction legend,"
        which did not acquire any general currency even among
enthusiasts until some
        time after Musin-
        Pushkin's death in 1817.

        III.    Speculations about the mythical "Musin-Pushkin
manuscript" proving
        baseless,
        historians are left with more conventional documentation -- and
with the
        text itself, the only
        unimpeachable source, apparently, of what we know and can learn
about its
        origins and
        authorship.  After nearly two centuries of efforts to explain
its numerous
        orthographic, lexical,
        morphological, stylistic and thematic "puzzles," an unacceptable
-- even
        growing -- number
        remains without answers.

        IV.     A new attempt to resolve them requires a clear-eyed
reappraisal of the
        "scholarly
        tradition," many components of which are quite deplorable.  I
have in mind
        not only the pillorying
        of Andre Mazon and Aleksandr Zimin; the very tools of philology
have been
        bent to the shape of
        an imagined original text.  Dictionaries and other reference
works are
        corrupted by "ghost" words
        and speculation deriving from dogmatic belief in the
authenticity of the
        tale; a vast array of
        secondary non-scholarly behaviors has influenced neighboring
disciplines and
        crossed national
        boundaries.

        V.      Consequently, one must re-open the inquiry and
re-interrogate all
        available witnesses.
        These fall naturally into three distinct categories: 1) the
"eye-witnesses"
        (Musin-Pushkin,
        Malinovskii, Selivanovskii) whose testimony is solicited after
1812 by the
        unreliable, mad
        Kalaidovich; 2) documented "sightings" of the/a text of the IT
-- NB not
        "Musin-Pushkin's
        manuscript" -- before 1800 (Ivan P. Elagin [1792-3], Kheraskov
[1796],
        Karamzin [1797]); 3) the
        witness of the texts themselves, that is, the Editio Princeps,
the so-called
        "Catherinian copy," the
        "Malinovskii papers," and a few other pre-1800 traces.  Although
it is
        readily apparent that the
        "eye-witnesses" impeach themselves and one another, and that the
        "sightings," while irrefutable,
        are limited in their import, both are helpful in reconstructing
the milieu
        in which the IT took final
        form.  These texts, properly construed,  are themselves eloquent
and
        unimpeachable witnesses
        to the process of creation of the text, which took its
near-final form in
        mid-1798.

        VI.     The close study of the "Malinovskii papers" reveals
clues as to how the
        text was put
        together, and permits us to talk of first and second "states,"
before and
        after the integration of the
        "fragments" found in Malinovskii's archive.  These fragments
contain, as
        clearly delineated and
        integral units, the well-known passages from the "Apostol" of
1307 and the
        late version of the
        "Molenie Daniila Zatochnika," as well as compact borrowings from
specific,
        identifiable copies of
        the Zadonshchina (especially ms. Sin. 790) and the "Skazanie o
Mamaevom
        poboishche"
        (Timkovskii's copy).  Elagin clearly copied the incipit from a
version of
        the "first state;"
        Kheraskov and Karamzin probably saw or were told of the same
version.  A new
        chronology of
        the history of the text, 1792/3-1800, can be constructed with
some confidence.

        VII.    The consideration of textual (lexical, morphological)
features leads to
        the conclusion that
        the two "states" were probably the work of a single author.  The
scrutiny of
        "original" passages
        (i.e., those not clearly related to the texts mentioned just
above) permits
        the delineation of an
        authorial persona, characterized by an extraordinary familiarity
with
        Slavonic languages and
        narrative texts, especially Biblical and historical; by a deep
interest in
        Slavic valor and unity; by a
        fascination with sound and light effects -- especially bird and
animal
        sounds; by a deist
        equanimity with regard to paganism, Christianity, and a
personified nature;
        and, paradoxically,
        by a deficient familiarity with certain specifically East Slavic
linguistic
        and historical realities.
        This author is also familiar with the Hebrew Old Testament and
Targum, with
        Classical and
        Biblical Greek and Latin, and with the Italian Renaissance.

        VIII.   Josef Dobrovsky (1753-1829) was probably the only person
of his
        generation who could
        properly understand the IT, and he is in all likelihood its
creator.  His
        early biography and training
        in Biblical and Slavic studies suit him uniquely for that role.
His work in
        the manuscript
        collections of Saint Petersburg and Moscow in 1792-93 (including
        Musin-Pushkin's) provided him
        access to precisely those manuscript copies of all known
possible sources
        that have the most
        telling similarities to the text.  (His surviving notes record
his use of
        such crucial items as the
        1307 Apostol, ms. Sin 790, and the Hypatian copy of the Primary
Chronicle.)
        He arrived in
        Russia at the peak of interest in Ossian and fascination with
Tmutorokan'.
        His Slavofil (his word)
        views, his later reactions to the publication of the IT, and his
response to
        the forgeries of
        "medieval Czech" poems by his students Hanka and Linde are all
congruent
        with this conclusion.

        IX.     Reexamination of the text reveals that a large number --
almost all --
        of its well-known
        "obscurities" (hapax legomena, garbled passages, out-of-place
"polonisms"
        and "classicisms,"
        pagan/Christian contradictions, geographical and genealogical
absurdities,
        etc.) can be resolved
        in light of the hypothesis of Dobrovsky's authorship.  In
particular, the
        often-discussed "Turkic"
        lexemes are in their majority (leaving aside proper names)
Slavic, Hebrew,
        or Italian in origin.

        X.      Tentative conclusions:
                1.      The original text of the IT was composed in
several stages or fragments,
        starting
        in 1792 or 1793, by Dobrovsky, as an "imitation" of the
Zadonshchina, which
        he had just read, or
        as Ossianic "variations" on its themes.  It is probable that
Dobrovsky did
        not set out to perpetrate
        a hoax, and did not intend that these "fragments" be published
(see 7,
        below).  He showed the
        "first state" to Elagin, and subsequently, after returning to
Prague, sent
        him (or perhaps
        Malinovskii) additional "fragments."
                2.      Elagin's papers having passed after his death to
Musin-Pushkin,
        Kheraskov and
        Karamzin somehow learned of the existence of the text(s).  They
both alluded
        to "fragments,"
        unmistakably some portion of the IT text, in print.
                3.      After Karamzin's explicit public announcement of
the discovery in 1797,
        Musin-
        Pushkin appears to have instructed Malinovskii to prepare an
edition.
                4.      Malinovskii was primarily (almost solely?)
responsible for the
        preparation of the
        final text, which occupied him from mid-1798 until the
appearance of the
        first edition in 1800.
                5.      Dobrovsky was unaware of this activity, and was
taken by surprise by the
        appearance of the text Editio Princeps in 1800.  But he chose
not to
        challenge the text's
        authenticity (as he would later, for a time, not expose his
students'
        fraud), and subsequently
        always treated the subject very circumspectly.
                6.      It is quite possible that neither Musin-Pushkin
nor Malinovskii knew the
        real
        origin of their text, but both certainly knew that they had
never seen an
        "ancient manuscript."
        (Malinovskii may well have known more than he told Musin-Pushkin
about
        theorigin of the text.)
        Hence their obfuscation in dealing with Kalaidovich, and
Malinovskii's
        ill-fated commission in
        1815 to Bardin to fabricate an "ancient" copy.
                7.      The question of motivation is exceedingly
complex, not only because we must
        set aside the prejudices of our age about authenticity and our
sense of the
        grandeur of the IT, but
        because Dobrovsk} was without doubt gravely afflicted with
manic-depressive
        illness, and we
        cannot know his mental state when he began and continued to work
on his
        "fragments."  But the
        views reflected in his voluminous writings and correspondence --
some sane,
        some clearly
        delirious -- comport well with the "message" of the IT, to the
extent that
        the latter can be
        established.

        I've tried in these brief paragraphs to provide a sense of how I
now see the
        text and its history.
        There remain, for me, many unanswered questions and, I do not
doubt, many
        unanswerable
        ones.  As we approach a general discussion, let me make three
appeals to all:

        Please remember that most questions anyone might pose -- about
textual
        relations, about lost
        manuscripts, about motivations and behaviors -- will arise from
the
        seemingly intolerable
        contrast between common probabilities, on the one hand, and what
might
        appear to be highly
        improbable conclusions (e.g., that a famous Bohemian Gelehrter
might,
        without wishing it, have
        bamboozled the Russian learned public.)  But the most improbable
belief in
        this whole field of
        culture history is the belief that such a text could have
appeared in East
        Slavic territory in the
        late twelfth century, whereas the appearance of one more
Ossianic text
        anywhere in Europe or
        America in 1793 is so probable as to be quite unremarkable, were
it not for
        the length of its
        successful run.

        Remember, too, that I say nothing about the poetical or other
literary
        merits of the text, though I
        have spent far too much of my life considering them.  It doesn't
really
        matter to my argument
        whether this is a work of great artistry, a learned bagatelle,
or a
        delirious pastiche.  I do,
        however, think that here we can agree with Dmitrii Likhachev,
who made a
        thoughtful point in his
        remarks prepared for the public humiliation of Aleksandr Zimin
in 1962, a
        copy of which he
        helpfully sent to Roman Jakobson at the time: since generations
of Russian
        geniuses -- poets,
        sculptors, graphic artists and musicians -- have been inspired
by the IT to
        create great works of
        art, the IT itself must have been written in the twelfth
century, where it
        towers over the literary
        landscape as a work of genius; had it been written in the
eighteenth, it
        would have been a "mere
        trifle" (_bezdelushka_).

        Remember, finally, that Zimin was right when he wrote to
Likhachev that "the
        Igor Tale is, after
        all, not an article of faith, but a subject of scholarship."
And Likhachev
        was profoundly wrong
        when he wrote to a member of the Central Committee of the
Communist Party,
        "the question of
        [the authenticity of] the Igor Tale is one of significance to
our nation."
        Russian culture and
        national self-esteem can easily survive -- and in my view will
benefit from
        -- the removal of this
        alien organism, which has become a malignant impediment to
self-examination
        and historical
        understanding.

        Edward L. Keenan