Slovo o polku Igoreve

Alina Israeli aisrael at american.edu
Fri May 8 15:35:09 UTC 1998

Katya Hirvasaho wrote:

>  One problem is that it is not generally recognized that
>language is a tool of cultural implementation and control and is never
>neutral.  To use the term "Kievan Russia" would indeed be reinforcing the
>Russian nationalist myth of Kiev as Russian. It is not an "innocent" term.
>For example, in English we no longer consider "he" to be a neutral, generic
>designation as it was claimed to be in earlier times, but one marked by
>gender.

But doesn't the already cited Povest' vremennyx let say: "otkuda est'
poshla russkaja zemlja"? Should we also object to the self-name of the time
on the grounds that later on the nation split? Aren't we perpetuating the
"bratoubijstvennye mezhdousobicy" of the time, only under a different
guise?

Alina Israeli