help for Japanese-American student studying Russian

Judith E. Kalb JKALB at WELLESLEY.EDU
Mon May 11 21:42:39 UTC 1998

Dear colleagues,
With Erik Blender's gracious permission, I am posting his response
to my query.  Several people have asked me questions that this e-mail
addresses--I hope it will be helpful.  Many thanks again to all for the
terrific assistance.
Best wishes,
Judith Kalb

From:   IN%"BLENDER at actr.org"  "Erik Blender"  8-MAY-1998 18:11:27.24
To:     IN%"JKALB at WELLESLEY.EDU"
CC:     IN%"herrin at actr.org", IN%"petrusewicz at actr.org"
Subj:   help for Japanese-American student studying Russian -Reply

Date: Fri, 08 May 1998 18:14:50 -0400
From: Erik Blender <BLENDER at actr.org>
Subject: help for Japanese-American student studying Russian -Reply
To: JKALB at WELLESLEY.EDU
Cc: herrin at actr.org, petrusewicz at actr.org

Dear Ms. Kalb,

My name is Erik Blender.  I am a program officer at American
Council of Teachers of Russian.  We currently have a large number
of students at several institutes in Moscow and St. Petersburg.

We have several students of Asian and African-American descent
going to both cities this summer.  You are right, there is greater cause
for concern for such students, but there are ways to lessen the
potential threats to safety.

The US Embassy in Moscow has recently released a warning to all
foreigners, specifically those of Asian or African/African-American
descent, to be more aware of threats by neo-nazi groups to carry out
acts of violence against such foreigners.

A recent attack on an African-American marine took place at the
open air CD market at Fili Park in the Moscow suburbs (Metro
Bagrationerskaya).  It is a place that has two very long strips of CD
vendors and the rest is just the park with folks milling about here
and there.  The market attracts all sorts of music enthusiasts, among
them the "metal-heads" and "punks" that might also be affiliated with
groups of skin-heads and neo-nazis.  Also, behind many of the
independent vendors, there is definitely some recreational drug
traffic and use going on.  Of course, there are also groups of drunks
that will congregate in this park.

The advice we are giving and will continue to give to our students in
response to this attack in particular, is that foreigners, in particular
those of Asian and African-American descent, should go to this
market with extreme caution, and certainly with a group of friends.
Also, we would advise that students stick to the main avenues of CD
sales and not wander off into other parts of the park.

the Arbat in Moscow, a main tourist thoroughfare, we are giving
warnings to our students, and supplying them with as much
information as possible, about the skin-head groups and about
which students are considered to be greater targets.  Asian and
African-American students, unfortunately, should be particularly
aware of their surroundings at all times, and should certainly seek to
venture throughout their host city with native Russian friends or
acquaintances that know the city, or could at least buy some time in
a confrontation with any neo-nazi gangs or groups.

It is also advisable that if students choose to go to night-clubs or rock
concerts, where a contingent of skin-heads or the like might be
present, Asians and African-Americans should go with a group of
friends, and preferably with Russian peers in that group who are
likely to be more aware of the surroundings.

ACTR has not experienced any racially motivated violence against
its students and we hope that the warnings and orientations that we
give our students, along with our Resident Directors and field office
support, will continue this trend.  However, the Asian,
African-American, or simply dark-skinned student going to Russia
must be aware of the potential threats to safety based solely on race.
Also, the highly randon nature of the potential violence makes it
harder to predict and defend against.  We do not feel that either
Mosow or St. Petersburg are unsafe places to be for the
non-European student, and we will continue to encourage such
interested students to study in Russia, but it is a topic that must be
discussed frankly and openly at orientations, while in-country, and
even before the program starts with host-family coordinators, so that
students of color are accepted and feel comfortable in their given
host family.

I hope this is helpful.  We will continue to monitor the situation
closely and would be happy to share any information about safety
and other incidents with you.  Let me know what you hear and
please feel free to contact me with any further questions or concerns
that your student may have.

Sincerely,
Erik Blender
Program Officer
Russian and Eurasian Programs
ACTR
blender at actr.org

>>> "Judith E. Kalb" <JKALB at WELLESLEY.EDU> 05/08/98
03:46pm >>>
Dear colleagues,
I am wondering whether any of you might have some advice for a
student of
mine who is eager to go study in Russia next year.  She is hesitating
because she does not know whether as aJapanese-American she
would
be at particular risk of encountering bigotry and potential danger
while
there. She is eager to talk to other Asian-American students who
have
studied in Russia recently.  If any of you knows about this issue or
has
someone she might be able to consult, we'd be very grateful indeed!
Thank you,
Judith Kalb

Dr. Judith E. Kalb
Department of Russian