Russian Eateries in SF

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at facstaff.wisc.edu
Tue Nov 3 15:05:08 UTC 1998

Dear Colleagues:

some Russian friends in San Francisco and am able to share this information
with the list in anticipation of culinary delights during the AATSEEL
Conference in December in San Francisco:

>the consensus is that the best place generally is cinderella,
>436 balboa street (at 4th avenue) (415) 751-9690.  you can take the #31 bus
>from market street downtown right out to and then along balboa.  the food
>is good, traditional russian fare, the prices are modest, with entrees at
>something like $7 - $12.   a taxi ride from
>downtown to there (the neighborhood is called the inner richmond) will take
>about 10 minutes.  the bus will take 20 or so minutes traveling time, plus
>waiting to
>catch it on market street.  they show up about every 20 minutes.  in
>theory.
>
>second is a place called metropolitan, 248 sutter street, (415) 982-6440.
>this is downtown.  they serve american food (don't ask me what that is)
>during the week, and russian food saturdays and sundays.  entrees are more
>expensive than at cinderella, about $15 or so.  expect a full dinner to be
>about $50.  there is an orchestra/band.
>
>third are a few places on geary street in the outer richmond, between 20th
>and 25th avenues.  take the number 38 limited (green sign over the front
>windows) bus from market street downtown.  these are deli type places with
>maybe 5 tables for sit-down dining.  there's lots of food imported from
>russia and fresh deli items.  there is also *excellent*
>fresh baked bread and assorted other baked items.  these places tend to
>close at 6:00 or 7:00, so plan for lunch here, or early dinner.

I personally haven't eaten at any of these establishments, but they come
highly recommended.

Ben Rifkin

/////////////////////////////

Benjamin Rifkin
Associate Professor of Russian,
Coordinator of Russian-Language Instruction & Teacher Training
Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1432 Van Hise Hall
1220 Linden Drive
Madison, WI  53706