Contemporary Russian Literature: Responses

cdtomei cdtomei at frontiernet.net
Thu Nov 5 02:05:16 UTC 1998

While I can't address the cataloguing aspect of this problem, I had to look closely at what Russian meant to edit _Russian Women Writers_ (finally appearing from Garland Publishing -- due in mid-December). I chose 71 authors, emigre, non-ethnically Russian, diaspora, on the basis of the fact that they wrote in Russian and thus contributed to the tradition of Russian litterature.
        I was aided in my choice by the editor in the same series of _ Women Writing in Dutch_ who made the language of the writing the criterion for inclusion. It is probably for the best to be most inclusive, rather than finding small reasons to exclude writers.
        Christine D. Tomei
        The Slavic Seminar
        Columbia University