Contemporary Russian Literature: Responses -Reply

FRISON Philippe Philippe.FRISON at coe.fr
Thu Nov 5 15:23:54 UTC 1998

The fate of Russian disaporas after the collapse of the Soviet Union has
been custard-pie for neo-Communists and other nationalist forces since
1991.
A lot of books have been published on the subject. Conferences have been
convened in Geneva and elsewhere.
It is the second time, or event the third time in history that Russian
literature has several "production centres".
The first time was after 1905-1917, with (White) Russian colonies in
Harbin, in Prag, in Belgrad, Paris, Munich, etc.
And now in all big cities of the so-called near abroad (including
Alma-Ata, Tashkent, but perhaps also Riga, etc.).
It would interesting to know whether this will lead to a multiple
standard of the Russian language in the same way as with the English
(all over the world), in French (in a lesser way, with France, Quebec,
French-speaking Africa, the Caribbean), Spanish (Spain or Latin
America), Arabic (Maghrib vs Mashreq dialects), etc.
For such a centralized (and closed) country like the former Soviet Union
it is something relatively unusual, but in a historical perspective
rather common.

I try to follow new developments in this field.
If you are interested in political stuff, I can give you references off
the list

Best regards

Philippe FRISON

E-mail: Philippe.Frison at Coe.fr