Johnson's Russia List

Slava Paperno sp27 at cornell.edu
Mon Oct 19 20:54:13 UTC 1998

I'm writing to bring to your attention a resource that I've recently
started to use:

Johnson's Russia List

I stumbled on this list by accident, asked for a sample posting, and got
hooked. I now forward a page of text from this list's postings to ALL my
students, almost daily.

The list is run by David Johnson of the Center for Defense Information, a
private organization in Washington DC 20036. Mr. Johnson says, "There is no
charge to receive JRL but I hope you will give serious consideration to
providing some support
for this time-consuming effort. Think of this as a 'shareware' enterprise."

Every day Mr. Johnson sends to subscribers a short compendium of articles
on current events in Russia. Here's the contents of today's mailing (not
all of them contain depressing news!):

davidjohnson at erols.com

  1. AFP: Tuberculosis Spreads to 2.5 Million Russians.
  2. AFP: Poll: Moscow Mayor Would Win Presidential Elections.
  3. Reuters: Siberian town struggles in pit of depression.
  4. Renfrey Clarke: PROTEST DAY IN A RUSSIAN COAL TOWN.
  5. Moskovskiy Komsomolets: Yelena Yegorova,"Abortion Victims."
('Abortion' of Nascent Middle Class Viewed).]
  6. Reuters: Russia Sept GDP down 9.9 pct-Prime quotes Committee.]

As you see, the sources vary. I found it easy to find one or two short
pieces that should be of interest to my students. There are plenty of
similar resources on the Web, but it is so much easier to find a ready-made
list in your own mailbox :)