Chukhrai's "Vor"

J. Alexander Ogden OgdenJ at garnet.cla.sc.edu
Sat Oct 24 14:31:39 UTC 1998

Dear Colleagues,

Apologies if this is duplicated; my attempt yesterday did not go through.

I have heard that the original issue of Chukhrai's "The Thief" has an
additional ending, cut out for its American release.  Can anyone elaborate?
 I'm doing a talk on the film Sunday evening and would be very grateful for
any information about the cut, since I've been unable to locate the
original version.

I'm told that there is an extra scene with the grown (48-year-old according
to the credits, so in 1994) Sanya, who's in naval uniform and who gets off
a train at a station and recognizes Tolyan in a decrepit BOMZh who's once
again singing "Ekh Dorogi."  Tolyan then dies in his arms.

Also, the original issue is clocked at 110 minutes, but the American
release is only a bit over 90 min.  Surely this isn't all at the end!  Does
anyone know of other editing?

Any information would be much appreciated--by Sunday would be most useful,
but I'd also be interested in hearing from people after that.

Many thanks,
Alex Ogden

Dr. J. Alexander Ogden
Visiting Assistant Professor of Russian
Department of Germanic, Slavic & Oriental
        Languages and Literatures
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208
ogdenj at garnet.cla.sc.edu