wedding rings

Jack Haney haneyjav at u.washington.edu
Mon Oct 26 19:42:22 UTC 1998

In the sixteenth century Muscovite Chin svadebnyi only one ring is
mentioned. It is given by the groom's mother to her prospective daughter
in law some weeks before the wedding and it clearly indicates acceptance
of the new bride into her groom's family. That is clearly close to the
original significance of the ring, singular, worn on the right hand by the
woman only.