Kalinka

David Burrous dburrous at jeffco.k12.co.us
Fri Sep 11 13:01:02 UTC 1998

Dorogiye Seelangtsy:
I always thought that "Kalinka" meant "snowball bush".  And, I thought
that a snowball bush was a bush that blooms in the spring about the same
time as lilacs with big balls of tiny white flowers.  (As a kid we used
to throw them at each other like snowballs.)  Well, when I took some to
school to show my students while we were singing "Kalinka", a Russian
from Tadjikistan soundly informed me that kalinka was something other
than what I had brought to class.  So, what is kalinka really?
Thanks.