Cyrillic fonts

Max Pyziur pyz at panix.com
Fri Sep 11 22:10:31 UTC 1998

At 01:22 PM 9/11/98 -0400, Lindsay wrote:
>Hi. I have managed to download a "Cyrillic" font off the internet, with the
>accompanying picture of a keyboard with all of the Russian letters on it.
>It has been great for creating Russian  documents, but now I need to type
>in Ukrainian. Do I need a different font, or can someone tell me where the
>few letters that are not the same in Ukrainian as in Russian are located? I
>know they are there somewhere because my computer can read Ukrainain web
>pages and all the "i"'s, etc. come out properly. I'm using Windows 95,
>Netscape 3.0, and Word97.

If all you want to do is use the tools that you have, (i.e, w/o giving up
your current keyboard driver)  and just use a few tricks to get the four
unique letters here's a possible solution.

As a general rule you can insert non-standard characters (i.e, non-u.s.
alphabet letters) by holding the "Alt" key and then typing four numbers as in:

<Alt>-"xxxx" where "xxxx" are some four numbers.

For Ukrainian CAPITAL letters the sequences are:
I   <Alt>-0178
Yi  <Alt>-0175
Ye  <Alt>-0170
Ge  <Alt>-0165

For Ukrainian lower case letters the sequences are:
I   <Alt>-0179
Yi  <Alt>-0191
Ye  <Alt>-0186
Ge  <Alt>-0180

In Word97, when your language is set to either Russian or Ukrainian the
above key sequences work.

Basically, this way you don't have to add any sort of any new software or
engage in extensive modifications of what you already have.

In case that you do, you can take a look at BRAMA's Computing section at:
http://www.brama.com/compute/

where you'll find related software and some instructions and background
technical info.

>Thanks!!
>Lindsay Johnston

Max Pyziur                                     BRAMA - Gateway Ukraine
pyz at panix.com                                  http://www.brama.com/