Keyboard question

Robert Beard rbeard at bucknell.edu
Fri Sep 11 21:00:41 UTC 1998

You can also get one free at the SIL site if you are willing to do a
little simple editing.  Download the TavulteSoft Keyboard Manager
and use the TIKE editor to set up any kind of keyboard you like.  I have
standard and phonetic keyboards for KOI8-R I offer my students and
anyone else who comes along at:

http://www.departments.bucknell.edu/russian/bucknell.exe

If this file doesn't unpack when you double click it, click it with
the right mouse button and chose 'Extract to file'.  It will ask you
to chool koi8.kmn, phonic.kmn or ln105.kmn.  Phonic.kmn is the
phonetic learner's keyboard FOR KOI8 FONTS, not Windows 1251.

The editing involves copying a text file and replacing whatever is in
the middle of it with a list of correspondences:

+a=a'
+b=b'
+c=c'
etc.

where the prime values are the Cyrillic characters you wish to come up
when you press the Latin character to the left of the equal sign.

Tavultesoft is a nice program because it is not a keyboard driver and
has no effect on your Windows keyboard.  It provides a button at the
top of all your applications which may be pushed to provide KOI8/
Standard and KOI8/Phonetic keyboard layouts in addition to anything
else you have installed.

--Bob