Participants for Cyrillic-on-the-net study

Lindsay Malcolm lmalcolm at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Thu Sep 24 14:55:30 UTC 1998

Hello, everybody. I've introduced myself before. My name is Lindsay
Johnston and I am currently in the last year of a Masters of Library and
Information Science Degree at the University of Alberta (in Edmonton). I
have an MA in Russian Language and Literature from the University of
Ottawa. I am currently doing a study for my MLIS Research Methods course on
the dominance of English on the World Wide Web. I think it is a problem
that most of us have grappled with.
        I am doing a case study on the challenges and problems involved in
retrieving and creating web documents that use the Cyrillic alphabet. Many
of you are experts on this subject. For my study, I would like to interview
four or five volunteers. It would be a short interview about your technical
background, resources you have used, your successes, and frustrations you
have encountered. Since I will be working with people, I will soon be
submitting my project proposal to the University of Alberta Ethics Review
Committee. I will follow ethical guidelines, meaning I will not use any
names in my final report, so your identity will be kept confidential and
will be known only by me. Also, you can opt out at any time and refuse to
answer any question.
        When the report is done, I will put it on the web and send the url to this
list, so you can read it if you are interested. I hope it will be a useful
resource that will gather together background on technical advances such as
Unicode, and information on many of the issues and questions that have been
discussed on this list.
        So, is anybody willing to participate in this project? If so, could you
please e-mail me off the list at
        lmalcolm at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
as soon as possible. Once I have revised my interview questions, i will
email you a copy of them. Then the interview will be conducted by telephone
at your convenience sometime in the middle of October.
        If you have any questions, you can contact me at the above email address.
Thank you very much. I will really appreciate your help and interest in my
project.

Lindsay Johnston
lmalcolm at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
(403) 454-1078