A Linguistics Book in Russian on Sale

Greg Thomson gthomson at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Sat Sep 26 11:15:32 UTC 1998

I want to second Irina's enthusiastic review of "FUNDAMENTAL TRENDS OF
MODERN AMERICAN LINGUISTICS" ("Fundamental'nye napravlenija sovremennoj
amerikanskoj lingvistiki"). As a relative new-comer to Russian, I have been
delighted to find the sorts of technical linguistic terms Irina alludes to,
some of which I have sometimes needed in conversations with Russian
scholars but had been unable to find in typical Russian linguistics texts.
The book could also be of value to advanced students of Russian with a
linguistic orientation in their overall educatoinal background, as it
provides highly comprehensible and highly readable and highly interesting
material for reading practice. Another application I would see would be as
a textbook for a graduate level course in countries outside Russia simply
on the subject matter of the book, but taught in Russian for advanced
learners. The content is valuable in its own right as a referesher for
areas of linguistics which are somewhat familiar byt not one's active
focus, and for getting a survey of areas and approaches that are important
and may have been missed in one's education to date. In other words, it is
a great survey of "American" linguistics (a bit broader actually), though
no doubt everyone could complain of some omission or other. Nevertheless,
if it were translated into English, I think it would find a market outside
of Russia simply as an excellent survey of linguistics.

Warmly,
Greg

p.s. Now where can we find something comparable in English on linguistics
in Russia?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
We've weathered storms before.
-Buck and Dottie
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Greg Thomson, Ph.D. Candidate (gthomson at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca)
SIL/Thomson, Westpost P.O. Box 109, FIN 53101,
Lappeenranta, FINLAND
Phone: 7-812-246-35-48 (in St. Petersburg, Russia)