No subject

Subhash Jaireth Subhash.Jaireth at agso.gov.au
Mon Aug 2 03:12:19 UTC 1999

                Dear Friends,

                I am a member of the Canberra branch of the International
PEN. The International PEN is an organisation of writers and journalists.
Its aim is to highlight cases where writers and journalists are persecuted
for expressing their ideas. Every year in Canberra we plant a tree in the
memory of writers who have died in prisons or killed for exercising their
right to freedom of speech. In Canberra there is a memorial walkway that has
trees to commemorate Ken Saro Wiva, the Nigerian writer and dramatist,
Robert Walker, an Aboriginal Australian writer who died in a Perth prison,
Four Australian journalists who were killed in East Timor. This year we are
planning to plant a tree in the memory of
*       The Russian editor of a newspaper of who was killed in her office
for exposing corruption in the government of a chess-loving President of a
Republic in Russia; and
*       Galina Staravoitova, who was murdered in St. Petersburg

                I shall be grateful if you could send me any  information
about the two women journalists. I am sorry that I don't even know the name
of the first journalist. I shall be grateful if you can send me some
references to their journalistic writing.

                Thanks

Subhash Jaireth