The Elusive Roman Jakoson Archive

Gerald McCausland gmmst11+ at pitt.edu
Mon Aug 2 19:59:40 UTC 1999

--On Monday, August 02, 1999, 10:06 AM -0700 Genevra Gerhart
<ggerhart at wolfenet.com> wrote:r

> Thanks for the precious note -- that the person at AAASS had not heard
> of Roman Jakobson and asked what field he was in?
> Ho, ho, ho, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha !

This was also my initial reaction. But perhaps we should be a little more
charitable. Front-line receptionists are supposed to know how to direct you
to the information you are looking for, not necessarily to possess it
themselves. Or has the job market already reached the point where we expect
PhD's in Slavic linguistics to be applying their graduate training
answering phones in the offices of our professional associations?

Jerry.

Jerry McCausland
University of Pittsburgh
gmmst11+ at pitt.edu