Conference in Warsaw

Edward D. Lozansky Lozansky at aol.com
Thu Aug 12 23:09:39 UTC 1999

Dear Colleagues,

I finally received a preliminary program for the Warsaw Conference. If you
plan to present a paper, please find an appropriate panel which corresponds
to your theme and I will make sure that you are on this panel. If you cannot
find any panel for your presentation please let me know and I will try to put
together additional one.

Please note that participants will be staying at the University of Warsaw
Hotel @ $58 a night.

For additional information please contact

Dr. Edward Lozansky  <A HREF="Lozansky at aol.com">Lozansky at aol.com</A>
President, American University in Moscow
1800 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20009

Tel. 202-986-6010
Fax 202-667-4244

<A HREF="http:www.RussiaHouse.org">http://www. RussiaHouse.org</A>

4th International Conference
Past, Present and Future of Russia
dedicated to 25th anniversary of "Kontinent" magazine
and its founder Vladimir Maximov

Warsaw, 25-27 September 1999

Friday, September 24
Arrivals, Welcoming Reception at 19.00

25 September, Saturday

FIRST PANEL: Social, economical and political changes in post-communist
Europe for the last 10 years. Tendency of development and prognosis
perspectives.

Morning session. Chairman Adam Mikhnik (Poland)

I. Introductions  of organizers  - Adam Mikhnik ("Newspaper Vyborcha",
Warsaw), Igor Vinogradov ("Kontinent" magazine, Moscow), Stanislav Ksenzhik
(Russian Center of Science and Culture in Warsaw), Lutsian Sukhanek
(Yagellonski University, Poland).

II.  Mikhail Gorbachev. Eastern Europe: New Developments.
III. Presentations:

1. Adam Mikhnik (Poland). Poland in post-communist  Eastern Europe.
2. Anthony Lim (Czech Republic). Post-communist Czechoslovakia - centrifugal
and centripetal tendencies. Comparative dynamics of development of Czech
Republic and Slovakia.
3. Andrei Sannikov (Belarus). Today's Beloras between West and East.
4. Vadim Skuratovski (Ukraine). Ukraine after USSR disintegration: internal
situation and relations with Russia.

IV. Discussion:

Evening Session. Chairman Igor Vinogradov (Moscow).

1. Aleksei Pushkov (Moscow). Post-communist Eastern Europe in context of new
geopolitical development at boundary of XX-XXI centuries.
2.  Larisa Piyasheva (Moscow). Threat of the new Russian neototalitarism -
economy and politics.
3. Yuri Kagramanov (Moscow). Russian fascism.
4. Viktor Skrunda (Poland).
5. Andrei Zubov (Moscow). Search of Russian national identity.
6. Leon Taivan (Latvia). Problem of restitution - Baltic experience.
7. Tomash Zarutskyi (Poland). Evolution of Polish political scene in
historical and international context.

II. Discussion.

26 September, Sunday.

SECOND PANEL: Religious-spiritual space of post-communist Europe. Changes,
tendencies, and perspectives.

Morning Session. Chairman George Niva (France-Switzerland).

1. Sergei Averintsev (Moscow-Vienna). Christianity and present situation
(European region).
2. Yakov Krotov (Moscow). Dynamics of transformation of religious-spiritual
space in post- soviet Eastern Europe. The basic tendencies.
3. Yuzef Tyshner (Poland). Polish catholicism of post-soviet era. Dangerof
integrism.
4. Chistyakov (Moscow). Russian-Ukranian confessional problems and conflicts.
5. Nikita Struve (Paris). Orthodox-catholic dialog in post-soviet Eastern
Europe.
6. Andrei Zdanjski (Moscow). Problem of church property in Russia: history
and present.
7. Sharon Linzey, Religion in Post-Soviet Russia

THIRD PANEL: Post-communist Europe intelligentsia. It's place in a new
historical space of it's country and in international dialogue of cultures.

Evening Session. Chairman Lutsian Sukhanek (Poland).

1. Natalia Gorbanevskaya (Paris). Era of Paris "Kontinent" - consolidation of
Eastern Europe intelligentsia.
2. Igor Vinogradov (Moscow). Moscow "Kontinent" (1992-1999) - intelligentsia
of the new Russia and the problem of so called "national idea".
3. Alla Demidova
4. Lev Anninsky
5. Lutsian Sukhanek
6. Alitsiya Volodzko