Less Obscure - Not Native Speaking

Udut, Kenneth kenneth.udut at spcorp.com
Wed Aug 18 12:46:00 UTC 1999

One thing that has helped me in learning Russian,
has been something I heard when I started:

########

The goal is not to talk like a native speaker.
If you get that way, then that is great!

But primarily, in learning your new language,
your purpose is to make the language less obscure.

########

And so, that's it.  It's not to memorize 1,000,000
words 7 times each for maximum vocabulary acquisition
using dual word lists :)  But rather, for Russian to be
less obscure to me than it was yesterday.

It is uncovering a veil of mystery - and it is
a journey more exciting than anything of Indiana Jones.

i think this is a necessary attitude to have when
learning a language - or teaching it.

Just random thoughts - thanks for listening :)

           Kenneth Udut
Kenneth.Udut at SPCORP.COM