unpaid interships available

Devin P Browne dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu
Tue Aug 31 04:05:28 UTC 1999

FYI

Devin P Browne
dpbrowne+ at pitt.edu

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 15:15:05 -0400 (EDT)
From: Reap International <reap at reapintl.com>
To: Multiple recipients of list <civilsoc at SOLAR.RTD.UTK.EDU>
Subject: REAP Internships in Russia, Latvia and Lithuania

Reap International, a nonprofit organization which works in Russia, Latvia
and Lithuania, is beginning work on its summer 2000 unpaid internship
program for the Lake Baikal region of Siberia and also for Latvia and
Lithuania.  The final details, including firm program costs, will be
available in early November. Interested persons are invited to make
inquiries before that date, particularly if they have specific objectives
which they wish to achieve in their internship.

In the summer of 1999, we had four interns from 1-3 months involved in
varied activities, including environmental education, assistance with
tourism development, work with orphans, English language training and work
with high school students on nature study.  We had one intern without
Russian language.  In 2000, we expect to be able to have some non-Russian
speakers as well, but these will be limited and REAP reserves the right to
decline an applicant.

At Lake Baikal we can place interns in Irkutsk and Ulan-Ude, as well as
some situations in rural Buryatia.  Baikal is the world's most unique lake
ecosystem.  It has enormous diversity of plants and animals, as well as
all three of Siberia's great ecosystems;  Boreal forest (taiga), Asian
steppe and alpine mountains.  It is also culturally diverse, with ethnic
Russians, Buryats, most other Soviet ethnics and several indigenous
peoples related to the Buryats.  Buryats are descended from Mongolians.
Religions include Russian Orthodox, Buddhism and Shamanism.

REAP has worked with a variety of local organizations and institutions for
nearly 10 years.  Our network includes the Ministries of Education,
Culture, Justice and Agriculture; our own nongovernmental partner
organizations, many scientists, educators, other nongovernmental
organizations, farmers, entrepreneurs, village administrators, school
teachers and school administrators.  Our largest program is involved in
developing rural stability in small communities in Buryatia by providing
multiple assistance to the rural schools in those villages.  Many of our
interns work with this general program, but we also will be sharing
interns with other projects.

In Latvia and Lithuania, we have partners involved with sustainable rural
development, organic farming and environmental education.

REAP will not only have interns in its own programs in 2000, but we expect
to provide other organizations with interns. The complete list of
situations will be available in November. Persons with specific needs
should contact us as early as possible in order that we can try to find a
good match.

We can also host college groups for short adventure travel, which can
include trekking, mountain climbing and kayaking.  Finally, please look
for information on REAP's Second International Green Walk, which will be
held in Buryatia. Information on this project will also be circulated in
November.

Contact:
Bill Mueller
REAP International
1427 4th Street SW
Cedar Rapids, Iowa  52404
(319) 366-4230    Fax:  366-2209
E-Mail:  REAP at reapintl.com

     |  CivilSoc is an electronic news and information service  |
     |  provided free of charge to 1,400 subscribers worldwide. |
     |  CivilSoc is a project of CCSI--Center for Civil Society |
     |  International (ccsi at u.washington.edu) in Seattle, in    |
     |  association with Friends & Partners.  For more informa- |
     |  tion about civic initiatives in nations of the former   |
     |  USSR and elsewhere, visit CCSI's web site at:           |
     |         http://www.friends-partners.org/~ccsi/           |