-u vocative. thanks.

Yoshimasa Tsuji yamato at yt.cache.waseda.ac.jp
Thu Dec 2 13:43:13 UTC 1999

Dear experts,
Thank you very much for enlightening me. Having heard from Dr
Uladzimir Katkouski that Belarusans use -u vocative form for
Valera, I immediately wrote to a friend of mine who was born nd
brought up in Moghilev. He told me he has often heard -u vocative
in the villages of Belarussia, Ukraine, and some parts of Southern
Russia. He, like myself, is no linguist, but has an extraordinary
talent of picking up accents wherever he travels round the world.

Moscow and Petersburg are very exciting towns, similar to New York,
in that you will never get tired of eavesdropping in the streets,
underground trains and in the bus as the towns are so rich of
various accents and languages.

I thank you all who have been so kind to respond to my query.

Cheers,

Tsuji