WWW in Russian

L. Douglas Taylor douglas at speakeasy.org
Fri Dec 3 22:04:04 UTC 1999

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999, Richard Robin wrote:

> where www can be assumed to be [ve-ve-ve]? How would the difference be made
> between "w" and "v"?

Here at Microsoft, we rely on context, convention, and RFC-mandated
compatibility.  The initial "www" is pronounced "ve-ve-ve" by the
Russian speaking developers, and the hostname and domain are either
pronounced (if a common word "dot com") or spelled out ("eff peh ar oh
te").

Granted, the conventions we use are heavily tainted by our location -
Seattle, WA, USA.
--
"The mark of a tale is not how it ends, but what it means."
                        - Gregory Benford