The Silver Age Journal

Eric Laursen eric.laursen at m.cc.utah.edu
Thu Dec 16 19:11:29 UTC 1999

        The second issue (1999) of The Silver Age is currently at press and should be on display at the AATSEEL national conference (check with the publisher, Charles Schlacks, as to the availability of the first issue (1998)); the table of contents for the new issue can be found below.  We are now accepting submissions for the third issue (2000).
        The Silver Age is an annual journal that publishes materials dealing with the visual arts, literature, music and philosophy of the Silver Age of Russian culture.  We especially appreciate materials dealing with the interplay of these artforms.  We publish articles, translations, bibliographies, and book reviews (send inquiry before submitting book reviews).  We are also interested in descriptions/reviews of current exhibits or revivals of Silver Age works.

Submissions to the Silver Age should conform to the Guidelines of the Chicago Manual of Style.  Please submit to :

ARTICLES AND TRANSLATIONS:

Eric Laursen
255 S. Central Campus Dr, Rm. 1400
Dept of Lang and Lit
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, Utah  84112-0490
e-mail: eric.laursen at m.cc.utah.edu

BOOK REVIEWS:

Maria Basom
232 Baker Hall
Department of Modern Languages
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, Iowa  50614-0504
e-mail: maria.basom at uni.edu

TO PURCHASE OR SUBSCRIBE:

Charles Schlacks, Jr., Publisher
P.O. Box 1256
Idyllwild, CA  92549-1256
e-mail: SchSlavic at Idyllwild.com

         The Silver Age of Russian Literature and Culture, 1881-1921
                                     Issue 2 (1999)

                              TABLE OF CONTENTS

ARTICLE:  The Vrubel'-Demon Entanglement:  The Creation of a Symbolist Myth        by Mary Laurita (University of South Alabama)

REVIEW ARTICLE:  "Moia biografiia nikomu ne nuzhna": Behind Fedor
        Sologub's Literary Mask  by Jason Merril (Drew University)

TRANSLATIONS:

Vladimir Solov'ev's Three Encounters: An Annotated Translation  by Judith Deutsch Kornblatt (University of Wisconsin-Madison)

Aleksandr Blok's "The Little Swamp Priest"   by  Lydia Stone (Independent Scholar)

Marina Tsvetaeva's "Poem of a Mountain" and "Poem of the End"  by Alyssa Dinega (University of Wisconsin-Madison)

BOOK REVIEWS:

Lily Feiler.  Marina Tsvetaeva:  The Double Beast of Heaven and Hell (Dmitry Shlapentokh, Department of History, Indiana University - South Bend)

Irina Paperno and Joan Delaney Grossman, Ed.  Creating Life: The Aesthetic Utopia of Russian Modernism (Christopher Cosner)

L. I. Tikhvinskaia. Kabare i teatry miniatiur v Rossii. 1908-1917 (Jason Mer- rill, Dartmouth College)

Alexander Schouvaloff.  The Art of the Ballets Russes: The Serge Lifar Collec- tion of Theater Designs, Costumes and Paintings at the Wadsworth Atheneum (Dr. Rosalind Polly Gray, Laming Junior Fellow, The Queen's College, Oxford)

Andrey Bely i Ivanov-Razumnik. Perepiska (Anna Ponomareva, University of Man- chester, UK)

James L. West and Iurii A. Petrov, Editors. Merchant Moscow: Images of Rus- sia's Vanished Bourgeousie (Sonia Yetter, University of Northern Iowa)