Oxford Rus Dictionary on CD-ROM

Benjamin Rifkin brifkin at facstaff.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 1 00:04:02 UTC 1999

Dear Colleagues:

There has been some discussion about acquiring the ORD on CD-ROM on our
list.  I have been trying to track down some information and this is what I
have come up with.

For some reason, the American distributors have not yet gotten their acts
together on this product.  Unofficially, the product remains available only
directly from Britain.

To find out more about the product, you can contact Rachel Rains at Oxford.
Her e-mail address is:

rainsr at oup.co.uk

Her fax number is +44 1865 267 990

The price of the product is £42.54 plus VAT, but I don't think  VAT is
applicable for products purchased for export from Britain.   Postage, which
is airmail, is charged at a flat fee of £10.

The exchange rate varies, of course, and the price as charged to a credit
card would be acc. to the exchange rate that day.  At last check, this would
be somewhere around $87 (but this could change.)

One other note:  the CD-ROM is currently available only in PC format.  The
Mac format will be available, they say, in about a month or two.  However,
if you're running a recent Macintosh and have Virtual PC, I would expect
that it wouldn't make much of a difference if you had the PC version.  For
instance, I myself use both platforms, so the PC version would be better for
me as I could use it on either machine, whereas the Mac version would not
run on the PC.

I hope that this information is helpful for everyone.  I know that I was
very intrigued by the CD-ROM when it was demonstrated at the AATSEEL
Conference in San Francisco.  It looks like something that would be very useful.

Lastly, I do not have this product myself, so please do not write me to ask
about technical specifications or any problems you have it in running it!
I'm just trying to pass on useful information to those who might be
interested.  For all other matters, please contact the press directly.
Rachel Rains has been extremely helpful.

Ben Rifkin

////////////////////////////////////////

Benjamin Rifkin

Associate Professor of Slavic Languages
Coordinator of Russian-Language Instruction

Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1432 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Dr.
Madison, WI  53706  USA

voice:  608/262-1623