Ukrainian-English Dictionaries

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at ualberta.ca
Tue Feb 2 20:26:13 UTC 1999

Shanovni SEELANhivtsi:

In addition to the two dictionaries mentioned by Professor Vera Andrushkiv,
I would also recommend the more compact English-Ukrainian and
Ukrainian-English dictionary published by FEMINA in Kyiv, 1995.  Its ISBN
number is 5-7707-6868-1.

This one-volume (693 pages)  dictionary contains 40,000 words and was
compiled by N.M. Bykhovets', I.I. Borysenko, H.O. Herasymenko, Iu. O
Zhluktenko,  A.V. Lohvina, A.V. Shvants and T.A. Iavors'ka.

I agree with Mr. Stephen Bobick: "avoid the Hippocrene dictionaries."

Natalia Pylypiuk
Modern Languages & Cultural Studies
University of Alberta

www.ualberta.ca/~uklanlit/Homepage.html