Update on Russian videos and audios

Benjamin Sher sher07 at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 11 01:23:42 UTC 1999

Dear Colleagues:

I received a letter from Broadcast.com yesterday informing me that
the five Russian videos in question are gone forever from their
archives, and that they have no idea what site might be hosting
them. If they don't know, who does? However, the tone and attitude
of the Broadcast.com representative was positive and encouraging.
He clearly was interested in making Russian videos and audios
available on Broadcast.com, at present the most important Internet
clearing-house for video, audio and music programs. And I might
add that they have the most extensive collection of broadband
programs of every sort, including movies and documentaries, so far
on the Net. So, those of you (eventually all of us) who are getting
fast access modems through ADSL or CABLE or a university T1 line,
should monitor their site for new offerings at:

http://www.broadcast.com

Look on the left for Video or do a search on their site.

I wish to express my thanks to all those who wrote to Broadcast.com
concerning the mysterious disappearance of the 5 Russian videos. I
hope it will have its desired effect in the near future.

Meanwhile, chagrined at the loss of those priceless videos (at least
temporarily. They may yet show up elsewhere), I did a meta search
for Russian videos on the Web last night. Other than the enormous
number of Russian pornographic sites or, in a different vein,
Russian mail-order bride sites, altogether representing perhaps 50%
of the 1,000 hits that I worked with), there were slim pickings,
indeed. So far, at least. Among the treasures unearthed:

Under MULTIMEDIA:

1 -- Video -- Lebed making a speech at Rice University. 1 hour, 16
minutes. March 16, 1998. In Russian with an interpreter standing by
(as a kind of voice-over).  Nonetheless, you can hear much of
Lebed's own voice.

2 -- Audio -- "Red Resurgence or Revitalized Reform" -- at the CATO
institute. May 15, 1996. Panel discussion involving Susan
Eisenhower, Dmitry Mikheyev and Ariel Cohen. Note the date.

3-- Audio -- "Utopia in Power" -- Heller and Nekrich. Parts I and II.
(These are selections from the audiobook, about 45 minutes each).

Under HISTORY, GOV'T & SOCIAL SCIENCE:

4 -- Online History of Russia with extensive hyperlinks by St.
Lawrence University.

This is a real gem. An entire History of Russia presented with
hundreds of hyperlink connections to sites on the Internet. Highly
recommended as a unique Web experience.

You will find these sites on my Index, the address of which is at the
bottom of my signature.

Yours,

Benjamin

Benjamin Sher