FSB monitoring of Russian Internet

Benjamin Sher sher07 at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 18 16:40:21 UTC 1999

Dear Colleagues:

The report concerning the monitoring by the FSB of all future
Russian Internet sites and communications can be found on the
pages of The St. Petersburg Times at:

http://www.sptimes.ru/

Below is the lead paragraph:

> The English-language newspaper of St. Petersburg, Russia.
> Published since May 1993 by Independent Press, with editions every
> Tuesday and Friday.
>

> #441, Tuesday, February 16, 1999
>

> FSB Sets Sights on Internet Control
>
> Free-range monitoring of the Internet by Russia's Federal Security
> Service, or FSB, may soon be as easy as clicking a mouse - a situation
> that has local service providers forecasting both the demise of their
> businesses and the complete loss of private electronic correspondence
> for St. Petersburg's 50,000 Internet users. In fact, industry analysts
> and providers say, the only thing standing between the FSB and
> unlimited access to Internet correspondence is a little matter of who
> picks up the check for the necessary technology. If the FSB has its
> way, a regulation currently pending approval in the federal Justice
> Ministry will soon have the service providers themselves paying for
> the very upgrades that will leave their clients vulnerable to
> unchecked and unwelcome surveillance.....

You can always find The St. Petersburg Times on my Index under:

Newspapers & Periodicals Online -- News in English

Yours,

Benjamin
Benjamin Sher
Sher's Russian Web and Index