Index permanently online but NO LONGER updated!

Benjamin Sher sher07 at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 26 04:50:06 UTC 1999

Dear Colleagues:

I have decided to keep my Index permanently online but to stop
updating it.

This has been a one-man operation and part-time at that. I've
enjoyed doing this and I would like to thank all of you who have at
one time or another expressed your appreciation for my work.

I believe I have accomplished what I set out to do, namely, provide
the Slavic community with a list of lists (that is, megasites) and
many individual sites along the way.

This Index has, I believe, done its job well.  Unfortunately, the
Web's continued exponential growth makes it impossible for a
single indiviual, even if he were to work around the clock, to keep
track of the thousands upon thousands of Russian-related sites on
the Internet, not to mention evaluating and organizing them. I'll
gladly leave that thankless task to the megasites, who deserve our
deep gratitude for their fabulous and unremitting work on our behalf.

I suggest that the best use of my Index at this point would be to use
its hundreds of megasites (along with the search engines) as
jumping-off points, to explore these megasites and find the ones
you especially like and thereby keep track of new developments and
the latest additions to your areas of interest as they appear online.
That's exactly what I intend to do.

So, once again: Enjoy!

Yours,

Benjamin