Copyrights and the internet

Mark Kaiser mkaiser at socrates.berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 24 17:19:05 UTC 1999

Jeffrey,

Putting an original work on the Net would certainly be a violation of
copyright.

I believe that translations in general need copyright clearance from the
holder of the copyright of the original work (though I'm less certain about
this), and so a translation published on the Net would also need copyright
clearance.

Now, whether someone will come after you is another question. The Web is
full of copyright infringements, of course. There would be greater risk if
your institution was involved in any way in the creation of the translation
or the publication of the web pages - there the pockets are much deeper.

Also, from what you describe, this would fail the fair use test on several
grounds:

a. Web page is open to general public and is not restricted to a group of
students at a public institution;
b. The entire work, and not a limited part thereof, is published.

Hope this helps,

Mark Kaiser
Berkeley Language Center