language for Russian adoptees

Margarita Meyendorff Mourka1 at aol.com
Wed Jul 21 12:29:49 UTC 1999

Dear Emily and fellow Seelanger,

I have worked with people that have adopted Russian children who were older
and my feeling is that it is very important for the child to have someone who
they can speak to in their native tongue.  It is important for their security
and development.  It is true that they learn English very quickly, but that
is a survival instinct and I believe the transition into English is enhanced
if the child is secure in himself and in his own language.  Does that help?
If there are any other questions that arise, let me know and I'll try to
answer them.  You can write me off list.

Mourka