Accented Russian Fonts

Charles E. Gribble gribble.3 at osu.edu
Thu Jul 29 20:21:29 UTC 1999

I'm not sure what you mean by non-portable, but indeed the system WP uses
to denote non-ASCII characters is specific to WP.  On the other hand, it
works very well.  I have a completely customized Cyrillic keyboard in WP 7
(same principle to make one for 8 or 9) which has all the letters exactly
where I want them (e.g., asdf for the left hand, i kratkoe kl; for the
right in home row), plus all the vowels with both acute and grave accents,
plus all the characters for Macedonian, Serbian, Belarusian, Ukrainian, and
OCS, including jat', jus malyj, jus bol'shoj, jotated letters, etc.  I can
also produce any other Slavic or Baltic letter, plus phonetics, etc. by the
press of a couple of keys.  WordPerfect is great for doing multilingual
text, especially linguistics.  It works on any Windows printer for all the
characters.  It does not, however, export the special characters to the
Web, any more than other word processors do.

Charles E. Gribble    gribble.3 at osu.edu
Dept. of Slavic Languages
The Ohio State University
Columbus OH 43210