Accented Cyrillic on the web

Michael Trittipo tritt002 at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Fri Jul 30 15:34:43 UTC 1999

At 10:14 1999/07/30 -0400, UDUT, KENNETH wrote:
>     The nice thing about PDF-writer, for example, is its utter simplicity
* * *
>     How well will it handle accented fonts?  I don't know :)

In version 3.02 of Acrobat Exchange, not well.  (I used the oft-seen Czech
"Priserne . . ."  phrase to test, using Microsoft's CE font subset of
Microsoft's WGL4 fonts -- which in most places work beautifully.)  However,
PDF _Distiller_ works fine.  It takes an extra step, but that's the route
one has to go, to get hacky and carky a tak dale.  First print to a
Postcript _file_, then use PDF _Distiller_ to turn the Postscript file into
PDF for printing/posting on web page servers, etc.

I haven't yet moved to try 4.0.

Michael Trittipo
Minneapolis, Minnesota
mailto:tritt002 at tc.umn.edu