call for contributors

Judith E. Kalb kalbj at garnet.cla.sc.edu
Mon Jun 7 04:21:19 UTC 1999

Dear Colleagues,
        I am writing regarding a volume that Alexander Ogden and I are coediting
for the Dictionary of Literary Biography series called _Russian Novelists
in the Age of Tolstoy and Dostoevsky_.  Most of the entries have already
been assigned, but several remain available (a list is appended below).  We
are looking for contributors who are interested in writing these entries
and are able to do so on a six-month deadline.  Each contributor will
receive a nominal fee ($75-100, depending on length of article).
        The Dictionary of Literary Biography is a well-established series (over
200 volumes thus far) that only recently has begun to cover Russian
writers.  Three volumes on Russian literature have already been published:
_Early Modern Russian Writers_, ed. Marcus Levitt, and _Russian Literature
in the Age of Pushkin and Gogol_ (2 vols.), ed. Christine Rydel.  More
volumes on Russian literature are in the planning stages.
        Each entry consists of a bibliography of the writer's work, an essay that
places these works in the context of the writer's biography, and a selected
bibliography of secondary sources.  Word length listed below after each
author includes all three sections.
        If you are interested in contributing to this volume, please contact us
with a brief description of your scholarly background and interests.  Also,
if you know of other scholars with specializations in any of the authors
below, we'd appreciate your letting us know.  We can be reached by email at
jkalb at sc.edu (Judith Kalb) or ogden at sc.edu (Alexander Ogden).  Thank you
very much.
Best wishes,
Judith Kalb

RUSSIAN NOVELISTS IN THE AGE OF TOLSTOY AND DOSTOEVSKY
(number at end of line is word count)

Avseenko, Vasilii Grigor'evich (1842-1913) 4000
Danilevsky, Grigorii Petrovich (1829-90) 5000
Dubrovina, Ekaterina Oskarovna (b. Deikhman) (1946-1913)4000
Kliushnikov, Viktor Petrovich (1841-92) 4000
Kobiakova, Aleksandra Petrovna (1823-92) 4000
Kushchevsky, Ivan Afanas'evich (1847-76) 4000
Mamin-Sibiriak, Dmitrii Narkisovich (1852-1912) 6000
Markevich, Boleslav Mikhailovich (1822-1884) 5000
Mikhailov, Mikhail Larionovich (1829-65) 4000
Mordovtsev, Daniil Lukich (1830-1905) 5000
Omulevsky, Innokentii Vasil'evich (1836 or 1837-1883) 4000
Reshetnikov, Fëdor Mikhailovich (1841-71) 4000
Sheller, Aleksandr Konstantinovich ("A. Mikhailov")
        (1838-1900) 4000
Zasodimsky, Pavel Vladimirovich ("Vologdin") (1843-1912) 5000
Zlatovratsky, Nikolai Nikolaevich (1845-1911) 5000

Dr. Judith E. Kalb
Assistant Professor of Russian
Director of the Russian Program
Department of Germanic, Slavic, and East Asian
  Languages and Literatures
University of South Carolina
Columbia, SC 29208
Phone (803) 777-9615