Nizhe vsiakoi kritiki

Beyer, Tom beyer at jaguar.middlebury.edu
Tue Jun 8 15:52:36 UTC 1999

Thank you, Kathleen, for saying it succinctly and so well. I too am
disturbed by the tone of the review and the harshness of the rhetoric. Carol
along with others preserved the memory of Bakhtin, when to do so was not a
public option in the Soviet Union.

        I seem to remember (and someone will  know the exact reference) that
Nabokov believed that reading reviews told one little about the book under
review, but could provide insight into the intelligence and character of the
reviewer. Reviews ought not to be the place for reviewers to reveal their
own brilliance; they are instead an opportunity to present a book and its
content to a potential audience.  Few books on Russian literature or
criticism can hope to sell more than few hundred copies. We do ourselves no
service when we discourage libraries, departments, colleagues or students
from purchasing a book that really does make a substantial and significant
contribution to our limited knowledge of these things Russian.

        Thomas Beyer
        Professor of Russian
        Middlebury College