Trashing Caryl Emerson's recent book on Bakhtin?

Dmitry Khanin dmitry.khanin at gte.net
Tue Jun 8 16:35:47 UTC 1999

    It is a little funny that Kathleen Parthe of all people characterized  Caryl Emerson as "one of the most intellectually and personally generous people in the profession." Anyway, I do not share Kathleen's opinion of Caryl Emerson as a person and scholar. As I argued in the review, Emerson got so used to trashing other people's ideas that she finally had to attack Bakhtin's teaching itself based on entirely different principles. Tom Beyer wrote that "Carol along with others preserved the memory of Bakhtin when to do so was not a public option in the Soviet Union." Sure, when Bakhtin was in vogue in the West! And now when it is no longer "cool" to be a Bakhtin scholar. she "gleefully" gave a kick to her old master. This is all it is about, isn't it? I'm afraid all the (solicited) positive reviews in the world would not increase the audience for such books as Emerson's latest opus.

                                                                            Dmitry Khanin