No subject

Subhash Jaireth Subhash.Jaireth at agso.gov.au
Wed Jun 16 01:51:34 UTC 1999

I fully support Gary Morson's idea that criticism need to focus on the work
rather than the perceived, interpreted, guessed and for that matter
'constructed' motives.

Khanin began his contribution to the list with the words: "Some people (who
have not read it yet) asked if I trashed Emerson's book. Well, I guess I
did."

In reply, allow me to tell a short story (I hope it would be read as an
allegory):

A sugarcane farmer in a small village in India decided to cart his sugarcane
to a factory. He piled up the cane onto his bullock-cart, said good-bye to
his wife and set on. His little black dog decided to go with him. The day
was hot and the dog decided to walk underneath the cart protected from the
fiery sun. The journey was monotonous and boring. To keep himself busy the
dog began telling himself in his doggy voice: "Look how strong I am, I can
carry the whole cart on my back." The farmer heard the dog and laughed.

Subhash