This whole controversy

C. Fields cef at u.washington.edu
Mon Jun 21 14:37:56 UTC 1999

Thank you for taking the "you're an idiot" element out of this debate.  I
was beginning to think that I was listening in on a playground push-fight
instead of a scholarly debate--half telling teacher because "he hurt my
feelings" and the other half saying "yeah, well your feet stink too!"  Are
we grown-ups or kids.  Aren't grown-ups supposed to be able respond to
flippant criticism with something a bit more witty that "you're not
supposed to say things like that" and "that was mean you meaney!"  Are
scholarly egos to be so fragile that they can't take criticism
(deserved or undeserved) with a LEETLE bit of a sense of humor.