berkovec

Robert De Lossa rdelossa at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 22 15:13:43 UTC 1999

You might want to have your library order Omeljan Pritsak's "The Origins
of the Old Rus' Weights and Monetary Systems" (1998, Harvard University
Press for the Harvard Ukrainian Research Institute).

There is a nifty table on p. 58 that gives one berkovec' as 10 puds and
400 great grivenkas. Therefore, one berkovec' is 163,800 g (or 163.8
kilograms) or about 360 English pounds (as you mention), which gives you
the numbers you described. I don't think the berkovec' would have varied
in the period your talking about (cf. Pritsak's various relationships of
weights at the time). However, since I'm home with a sick little one, I
went to the kitchen and measured a half gallon of maple syrup as a
surrogate for honey. It weighs 5 lbs. If our prince had barrels of
approximately 40 gallons (which I think is not unreasonable), then we
would be talking about 400 lbs per barrel, or a total of 450 barrels of
honey. The question is whether that is an unreasonable amount for a prince
to be storing in a stronghold? Maybe someone knows some princely
inventories or tributes? It was a major trading item, too, so 450 barrels
doesn't seem excessive to me...

Our books are distributed by Wiley and Sons in the UK (for HUP).

Best, Robert De Lossa

====================================
Robert De Lossa
Director of Publications