MLA panel

Catharine Nepomnyashchy cn29 at columbia.edu
Fri Mar 5 16:34:40 UTC 1999

Call for papers for the following panel to be held at the MLA National
Conventional in Chicago in December 1999:

Politics of Citation.  Papers should address critically the issue of why
we cite certain texts regularly in our scholarly writings and why we might
avoid citing others.  Questions that might be considered:  Are there
pressures to cite certain scholars/sources in order to get published?  Is
there a theoretical canon by which our scholarship is judged as much as it
is by the quality of our scholarship? Are there different canons operative
in different subdivisions of our discipline?  What are the implications of
the current move to discourage footnotes among some university presses?
Papers that address these concerns as they relate to Slavic in a
comparative context are especially desirable.  Abstracts should be sent to
Catharine Nepomnyashchy, Slavic Dept., 226B Milbank Hall, Barnard College,
New York, NY 10027 or, by email, cn29 at columbia.edu, by March 20.